Trip to Saaremaa Island
Have not visited the islands yet? Mareti invites you to visit the biggest island of Estonia – Saaremaa together with Muhu island, interesting sightseeing places on the way to the island and on the island in three days! Mareti experienced guides will tell you all about island lifestyle and traditions. There is a lot to discover. Join this relaxing weekend – believe us, it is the easiest way to discover these two islands – Saaremaa and Muhu!
This trip starts by bus from Tallinn and takes us to Virtsu from where we have a short ferry ride to Muhu island. We discover the island before we arrive to Saaremaa. In Saaremaa, we will visit many different places (meteorite crater, windmills, churches, cliffs, nature, seaside) plus the capital of the island Kuressaare (and its castle and old town area). We stay two nights in a 3* SPA hotel and have visits to exciting cultural places.
Dates for Autumn 2022
Trip #1: 23 – 25 September
- The trip departs at 9am on Friday and arrives back at 7pm on Sunday.
- The trips are open to everybody, so bring your friends and family with you! Places for the trips are limited.
- We travel in safe and private group and we stay in countryside accommodation.
- Please take a moment to read from the programme (below) or talk to students who have been to Timetravels trips before how much is included in the price. And get your ESNcard for discount!
Programme of the trip
Day 1 – Departure to Saaremaa
We depart early in the morning and head west to catch the ferry to Saaremaa. The voyage lasts only 30 min – you can enjoy the views on the deck, or have a meal at the cafe on board. Upon arrival, we start discovering the islands. Our first stop is Muhu island. We check the authentic Koguva village which is one of the most outstanding examples of Estonian peasant architecture.
We continue towards Saaremaa to see the famous Angla Windmills where our visit also includes lunch in a local tavern. After lunch, we visit the medieval Karja church. This is a rural church with the richest medieval stone sculpture decoration in all the Baltic states!
After that we take the course to our accommodation place and on the way make a stop at the picturesque Panga cliff and Odalätsi springs.
Arrival at our accommodation and check-in. Time to have a nice dinner, relax and enjoy some bonfire!
Day 2 – Discovering Saaremaa
Today we explore more of the island – we drive around and make stops in most interesting places. We visit Saaremaa`s most Southern part – Sõrve peninsula, where you can walk on a very narrow spit of land going into the Baltic Sea and see Latvia on the eyesight. Our next stop is Tehumardi battlefield, which is now a memorial site dedicated to fallen soldiers in World War II. By lunch time, we arrive in Kuressaare – the capital of Saaremaa. We have a guided tour and visit the Kuressaare Fortress. Later it’s free time to have lunch and walk around on your own.
In the afternoon we drive back to our accommodation, making a shopping stop on the way. We end the day with a sauna and barbeque!
Day 3 – Discovering Saaremaa and journey home
Today we explore more of Saaremaa island. First, we visit the mystical Kaali meteorite crater and have a walk around the area. And later we enjoy a refreshing hike in Koigi bog, the largest on Saaremaa. In the afternoon, we head back to the mainland and head towards home. Arrival home late evening.
We hope you gathered the memories of a lifetime!
Timetravels reserves the right to changes in the itinerary.
What do I get for the price
- Comfortable bus transportation from and to Tallinn.
- Accommodation 2 nights
- Some food
- Visits to Angla windmills (inside visit with a ticket), Sõrve Lighthouse (inside visit with a ticket), Kuressaare castle, City walk in Kuressaare with local guide, hike in the nature with local guide, Kaali meteorite crater visit with local guide.
- Three days with local guide in Saaremaa.
- Help from group leader at all times (of course) + gifts.