Rummu prison and Paldiski
We are happy to invite you for a DayTrip to Murru prison and Rummu quarry, and Paldiski with Pakri lighthouse. These are great alternative places to see and discover in Estonia.
This is a perfect way to enjoy a long day in partly abandoned areas of Estonia with food, guided tour in Rummu quarry, Murru prison and Pakri Lighthouse tickets included!
The prison and quarry area are located on closed territory and is open for guided tours. We will have the opportunity to visit the area and go inside the old prison buildings, corridors and rooms with a local guide.
Dates for Autumn 2022
Trip #1: 18 September 2022
- The trip departs at 9am on Sundag.
- The trips are open to everybody, so bring your friends and family with you!
- Places for the trips are limited.
- We travel in safe and private group!
- Please take a moment to read from the programme (below) or talk to students who have been to Timetravels trips before how much is included in the price.
- Get your ESNcard for discount!
Programme of the trip
Picturesque blue lagoon – Rummu quarry, is a former mining site for local marble (a kind of limestone) where most of the work was done by cheap labor – prisoners from Murru prison in Rummu. In 1990s the pumps stopped for unknown reason and the groundwater flooded the area quickly, so that the mining machinery, buildings, trees and other equipment are now under water. It is a unique museum as the water is so transparent and looks like a lagoon. There are great views from top of the hill and during summertime the place is a popular diving area.
On the way back to Tallinn we also stop at picturesque Keila-Joa waterfalls!
In addition, to complete the DayTrip, we will go and discover Paldiski at Pakri peninsula. Paldiski was a Soviet Navy nuclear submarine training center. It gave work to 16,000 people, and, it was the largest such facility in the Soviet Union with two land-based nuclear reactors. The whole city was closed off because of its importance with barbed wire until the last Russian warship left in August 1994. Here we will see the town, limestone cliff, lighthouse and nature.
Right next to Paldiski, at Pakri peninsula, there is the highest working lighthouse in Estonia and we are going to visit it and climb up 275 steps! Andnext to the lighthouse, we can sport the old lighthouse that was build under the rule of Peter the Great in the beginning of 20th century.
Plan of the day:
- Departure from Tallinn in the morning
- Drive trough the city to Rummu
- Rummu (Murru) prison tour with a local guide
- Discovering Rummu quarry area – lake and the hill
- Drive to formerly closed Paldiski city
- Visiting Pakri lighthouse and the peninsula
- Drive trough small streets of Paldiski
- Stop at Keila-Joa waterfalls
- Departure towards Tallinn
What do I get for the price
- Transportation from and to Tallinn (comfortable bus with chargers & toilet).
- Snacks during the day.
- Warm lunch in Rummu quarry.
- Entrance ticket to Murru prison and guided tour.
- Entrance ticket to Rummu quarry.
- Entrance ticket to Pakri lighthouse.
- Help from groul leader at all times (of course) .
- Stress and hassle free trip with eating and doing all activities together.