Naissaare Military Island
Nargen, Nargö, Narghetnm “the island of women” is the biggest island on northern cost of Estonia, 8km long and 3.5km wide, divided into three villages and is around 8.5km from Tallinn. Before WWII, the population of this closed island was more than 450. Today, the population is around 3-10 people. One of the most popular islands to visit with amazing military history that you can touch and climb on!
So, what is there SO special about Naissaare? Let us tell you!
- The trip departs in the morning.
- The trips are open to everybody, so bring your friends and family with you!
- Places for the trips are limited.
- We travel in safe and private group!
- Please take a moment to read from the programme (below) or talk to students who have been to Mareti trips before how much is included in the price.
- Get your ESNcard for discount!
Programme of the trip
Plan of the day:
- Departure from Pirita harbor (close to the beach) in the morning
- Boat to Naissaare island
- Tour on the island by military trucks, stops on the way and walk with local guide
- Lunch on the island
- Free time to discover more (for example the mine field, 3+3km walk)
- Boat back to Tallinn, Pirita in the evening.
This is a great way to enjoy a long day on a unique former closed military island with food, guided tours by walk and soviet trucks!
Naissaar was covered with fortifications, sea fortress, that is still partly remained, mine fields and railway. The sea fortress dates back to Peter the Great times, but the main fortifications are from the period of Russian rule. During the period of the Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic, the Soviet Union established its largest factory for naval mines in the Baltic on the island.
The Soviets therefore declared the island a military area and off-limits to the public. The Soviets also used the railway to connect the factory to the port. Since 1995, Naissaar is a nature park and the only way to go there is by boat. We have our own private boat that takes us there.
There are several lighthouses on the island, a church, many military object ruins, museum, and an incredibly special music event called Nargen Festival takes place on the island.
What do I get for the price
- Soviet military trucks ride.
- Local guides on the spot.
- Visiting military objects.
- Snacks during the day.
- Warm lunch on Naissaare island.
- Ferry ticket to and from Naissaare.
- Help from Mareti at all times (of course) .
- Stress and hassle free trip with eating and doing all activities together.